Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Update 13- Encouragement from Richard Pryor's Daughter

Yesterday I attended a screening of Rain Pryor's new documentary movie “That Daughter's Crazy". Rain Pryor is the daughter of famous comedian, Richard Pryor and throughout her movie she discussed what is was like growing up as a black and Jewish girl. After her screening she talk to the audience more about her life growing up and issues she faces while trying to create a name for herself. in one incident, her talk about the struggle of having a big curl afro growing up and how her had to learn to except herself even though people told her otherwise. 
The words she said really stuck to me because so many years have African American hair has been looked down upon. being and African American myself, people have told me over and over that I shouldn’t focus my attention to much on learning to do African American hair because "you can’t really make a career out of that", but I know the truth and I know the importance of teaching other like me that they can embrace their fros and be proud about the hair they were blessed with. I know I grew up in a predominately white community with little to no black hair salons but I want to make a change. I have already started and I hope to continue.






No comments:

Post a Comment